Saturday, September 4, 2010

Ramblings, Rewrites and "Sacred Scars"

It's already September. Anybody know what happened to August? In Bavaria (Germany) August is vacation time for anybody with school-aged kids or spouses who are teachers, and that's me on both counts. So that's what happened to August, I guess -- vacation -- that and home-improvement projects. It's amazing how much work it is to build a relatively small garden house (or pavillion as we prefer to call it).
But now all that's behind me, and I only have the usually fifteen excuses for not blogging, not writing, not critiquing, etc.

But hey, I did manage to reach a milestone in my tween fantasy novel, Wheel of Katarnum: I finished the latest (last?) rewrite - all the way to the end! After a read-through I'll be bombarding some unsuspecting agents and editors with irresistible queries.
In honor of this momentous occasion, I've put chapter 4 up on my website. You can read all about the "Haunted Hawkins" here.

And to all you fantasy lovers (and even to normal folks) I would like to recommend the book I'm currently reading, "Sacred Scars" by Kathleen Duey. This is the second book in Kathleen's dark fantasy trilogy, and it has really grabbed me. The author has a way of getting you into the head of the magician's apprentice Hahp, who is trapped in the draconian Limòri Academy of Magic along with a few other unfortunate boys. This story would almost be too heavy, however, if it weren't balanced by a second story-line with the protagonist Sadima, who was involved with the founding of the academy hundreds of years earlier. She, like the founders, however, has used magic to extend her life almost indefinitely, and it's only a matter of time before she and Hahp cross paths (but not in this book, I don't think). It's an ingenius and fascinating way of interweaving two story-lines into one.
So read it.
Aloha.

1 comment: